Develop better communication skills to support a colleague, client or friend.
Accidental Counsellor is an emotional crisis awareness training program designed to provide participants with some knowledge and skills, to recognise, respond and refer when supporting someone who is experiencing an emotional crisis. There is also a module on self-care to ensure that participants take responsibility for their own wellbeing.
Despite the name of this course, please be aware that it is not intended to train you to be a counsellor or provide ongoing support. You will not receive any counselling qualification at the end of this training.
Topics covered include:
- What is a crisis?
- Mental health problems
- Substance use
- Loss and grief
- Relationship issues
- Stress (including workplace stress)
- Appropriate resources
- Interacting with people in crisis
- Appropriate language and terminology
- How to listen and support including the skills of active listening; summarising; and open and closed questioning
- Check safety, including asking about suicide
- Appropriate referrals
- How to make a referral
- Tips and tools for self-care
The training is delivered by qualified, experienced Lifeline trainers. Participants receive a Statement of Attendance at completion of the course.
Format: There are two options for this course:
- Blended training model comprising two hours of e-learning and a four-hour, face-to-face session with a qualified Lifeline trainer*.
- Two-hour online virtual workshop with a qualified Lifeline trainer. (Virtual workshop content may differ from face-to-face training.)
The workshop will be tailored to the specific needs of participants.
Resources: Participant workbook, e-learning.
Outcome: Participants are provided with basic skills to support someone in emotional crisis by learning how to recognise, respond and refer to an appropriate service.
*Our COVID-19 plan is in place for all training sessions. All social distancing regulations as established by the Government and Department of Health will be followed for face-to-face training sessions.
Note: Training sessions are subject to change based on changing regulations and/or demand.