UnitingCare is proud to be partnering with Project SEARCH to offer internships to young adults with developmental disabilities. The nine-month program for people aged 17-23 aims to develop your workplace skills and to secure pathways into stable and rewarding employment.
As an intern, you will complete three 10-week rotations at The Wesley Hospital in Brisbane. Here, you will:
- Participate in a variety of roles within the hospital
- Build competitive, transferrable and marketable job skills
- Increase your independence, confidence and self-esteem
- Receive work-based coaching, instruction and feedback
- Develop links to disability employment services following the internship.
For more information, download the Project SEARCH information booklet.
To become a Project SEARCH intern, you must:
- Be aged between 17-23
- Receive or be eligible to receive NDIS funding under the School Leaver Employment Supports category
- Have independent personal hygiene, grooming and daily living skills
- Be able to take direction and communicate effectively in a workplace setting
- Be able to pass Criminal History and drug screen checks
- Have the desire, family support and plan to work in the open labour market at the conclusion of the Project SEARCH program
- Have completed year 12 before commencing the internship.
Previous experience in a work environment (work experience, volunteer or paid work) is highly desirable.