Keeping the power on

Electricity is an essential service that most households rely on every day. Having your power disconnected, or being threatened with this possibility, can be worrying so it is important that you take action to prevent this.

Is your power at risk of being disconnected?


If you cannot pay your electricity bill, contact your energy provider as soon as possible. The sooner your service provider is made aware of your situation, the more they can support you. If they aren’t aware of your circumstances, they may make incorrect assumptions that could result in your electricity being cut off. They may be able to give you more time to pay, offer a payment arrangement through a hardship program or refer you to external support offered in your community.



What preventative measures should you take to keep the electricity on?

  • Contact your service provider. The most important thing to do is contact your service provider and let them know about your situation. They may be able to offer you immediate assistance.

  • See if you can get a grant. Speak to your provider about a Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme grant.

  • Talk to a Financial Counsellor. Contact the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 and make arrangements to work with a Financial Counsellor free of charge. A budget will be worked out to determine an affordable amount that you can pay. They may then work with you to set up a payment arrangement with your service provider.

  • Seek additional support. If you are unable to come to a suitable arrangement with your service provider you can contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman for additional support.

Which steps should you take to keep the electricity on?

Take action
Don’t ignore any letters or communications sent to you by the creditor. The sooner you can discuss alternatives with them, the better.
Make a payment plan
Work out a budget that you are sure you will be able to stick to, then contact your creditor to set up a reduced payment agreement. Keep to the agreement that you set up with the creditor.
Know your rights
Know your legal rights by speaking with a legal representative.
Talk with a financial counsellor
Before your car is repossessed, check your contract to confirm that your car is secured on the loan, e.g. held as security. If you don’t have a copy of your contract contact your creditor to ask for one.

Additional information

women meeting with finance councillor
Looking for guidance?
Contact us today to organise a meeting with one of our financial counsellors.

Related articles

Smiling woman
Prioritising debt

Decide which bills to pay first, how to get help to pay them, and how to prevent your debt from escalating.

Learn more
Couple budgeting
Creating a budget

A budget is one of the most important tools to get your finances under control. Find out how to create one and stick to it.

Learn more